On behalf of Warrington, our Mayor Cllr Maureen Creaghan, sends sincere condolences to Her Majesty The Queen and the Royal Family, following the death of HRH The Duke of Edinburgh, Prince Philip. Read the Mayor's full statement.
Our response to coronavirus so far
We have recently published a document which explains, in full, our response to coronavirus so far.
Many of our staff and services have changed on response to the pandemic, but have remained determined to provide support to the people of Warrington - particularly our most vulnerable.
Our initial response to COVID-19 prioritised ensuring that Warrington’s residents and businesses who needed most help and support, received it. This included:
- Recruiting more care workers to support direct care to vulnerable, elderly and frail residents
- Supporting free school meals for every eligible child
- Keeping schools open to vulnerable children and those of key workers
- Distributing food parcels through the Safe and Well scheme
- Providing a homeless emergency centre to support people sleeping rough
- Keeping all three waste collection streams operating
- Financially supporting businesses by issuing relief grants
Our initial response also included formally redeploying more than 50 staff into new, temporary roles to help on the front line of the pandemic response, with staff supporting the out of hours telephone line for vulnerable people and helping to set up a PPE distribution centre for care staff, for example.